Ray Sensei became interested in kendo when he saw kendoka in action during a martial arts gathering while living in Japan from 1964 to 1966.
Ray Fleming Sensei started practising kendo in August 1992.
Ray Sensei later represented South Africa at the 9th Kendo World Championships in France in 1994, at the 10th Kendo World Championships in Kyoto, Japan in 1997 and at the 11th Kendo World Championships in Santa Clara, the USA in 2000.
He also attended the Foreign Leader’s Training camp in Kitamoto, Japan in 1999 and again in 2002.
Apart from kendo, Ray Sensei also practised judo. He earned national colors in judo and took part in the European Judo Championships as part of the British judo team during the sixties.
Andre Sensei, became interested in kendo in 2005 when he first saw kendo at one of the Johannesburg clubs. He trained there until 2007 when he moved to Pretoria to further his studies.
Upon moving to Pretoria he started training at the Mushin Kendo Dojo where he still trains regularly.
Andre sensei attended the 2012 Kitamoto Foreign Leader Camp in Japan and has represented South Africa at two European Kendo Championship events in 2013 (Germany) and 2014 (France).
Anesu Sensei became interested in Kendo after a friend introduced the sport to him through an anime series.
Anesu started training at Mushin in 2010 and has excelled rapidly.
He has represented South Africa at the 2016 European Kendo Championships hosted in Macedonia.
PRESIDENT | SINCE 2016
- The President shall supervise the dojo as an on-going concern.
- The President is responsible for the running, order and attention to the business of all dojo affairs in regards to our dealings with SAKF.
- The President is responsible for organising Mushin kendo dojo participation in workshops, shia matches and any other Kendo events.
- The President is responsible for chairing meetings of any magnitude in all dojo matters.
SECRETARY | SINCE 2018
- The Secretary shall be responsible for all filing, meeting minutes and other matters of a secretarial nature, including the maintenance of an updated membership register and the issue of membership cards.
- The Secretary is to submit a copy of the monthly register to the SAKF.
- The Secretary is to ensure all new applicants are to complete a dojo application form.
- The Secretary will capture all members’ details in an electronic database.
- Facilitates all cash transactions between members and treasurer.
TREASURER | SINCE 2019
- The Treasurer shall ensure that a proper set of financial books is maintained and kept current.
- Is responsible for opening and controlling banking accounts for the Mushin Kendo Dojo and for the collection of registration and affiliation fees.
- Is responsible for all financial matters.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for all ordering of equipment and the finances related in this regard.
- The treasurer may nominate another member to be the Armourer.
- Facilitates all electronic payment transactions between members and treasurer.
ARMOURER | SINCE 2017
- The armourer is responsible for all logistical aspects of ordering of equipment for the dojo and for members
- The armourer is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of dojo equipment
- The armourer is in charge of the bogu hire program, managing rentals and subdivision of kits to eligible members
MARKETING AND DEVELOPMENT | SINCE 2019
- The MAD member is responsible for the organisation of interdojo shiai, dojo socials and end-of-the-year functions.
- The MAD member is responsible for dojo marketing and promotion.
- The MAD member designs and co-ordinates any dojo branding efforts.
- The MAD member can appoint an additional member to manage the dojo website.
ADVISOR | SINCE 2017
RONEL VAN ZYL
- Provides mentorship and advises Mushin Kendo Dojo.